Starting January 1, 2021 Lufthansa will make changes to their Frequent Flyer Program, Miles and More, in terms of requirements to earn a status.
Earning and redeeming miles will not be affected by those changes.
Let's start with a good thing, the program will be a lot easier to understand.
Points / Qualifying Points
There will be two different types of points you can earn.
- Points (for flights with all Star Alliance airlines)
- Qualifying Points (for flights with Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Eurowings, LOT Polish Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Adria Airways, Luxair, Air Dolomiti)
You’ll no longer earn status based on a multiplier of the distance flown, but rather you’ll earn status based on earning a certain number of points.
With the Lufthansa Miles & More changes there are now only two categories of flights for this earning model.
Long haul and intra-continental (short haul) flights, categorized according to IATA.
The booking class will no longer take an effect in how much points you earn, but the following rules will apply:
- In economy you’ll earn 5 points for short haul and 15 points for long haul flights
- In premium economy you’ll earn 5 points for short haul and 20 points for long haul flights
- In business class you’ll earn 10 points for short haul and 50 points for long haul flights
- In first class you’ll earn 10 points for short haul and 70 points for long haul flights
A positive change is that until now you couldn’t earn HON Circle status based on travel in economy on Lufthansa. That won’t be the case going forward anymore, as economy travel will qualify as well.
A negative change is that status will now only be valid for one year instead of the previous two years.
- Frequent Traveler: 160 Points (80 of them have to be Qualifying Points)
- Senator: 480 Points (240 of them have to be Qualifying Points)
- HON Circle: 1500 Points (all of them have to be Qualifying Points)
Lufthansa will introduce lifetime status for the first time with the Miles & More changes.
- Frequent Traveler Lifetime status can be achieved with 7,500 qualifying points.
- Senator Lifetime status can be achieved with 10,000 qualifying points plus 10 years of Senator status.
Status Stars count, to get Frequent Traveler Lifetime and Senator Lifetime.
Status Stars points collected until the 31st December 2020 will be converted to qualifying points where 2 status star points equal one qualifying point. Every member with 4 or five status stars will receive Lifetime Senator status in 2021. 3 status stars until the end of 2020 will earn you Frequent Traveler Lifetime.
The following vouchers will be attributed with the Lufthansa Miles & More changes:
- Senator: 2 E-Voucher per year
- HON Circle: 4 E-Voucher per year
HON Circle members will fall to Senator level even when not qualified the following year.
Senator will become Frequent Traveler if no requirements met.
The good things with Lufthansa Miles & More changes
- Easier to understand and to calculate.
- HON Circle status can be achieved based on travel in economy class on Lufthansa.
- Lifetime status now available.
- Some earning possibilities fall apart, as you won't earn Qualifying Points on Star Alliance airlines.
- Status only valid for one year, instead of two years.
The official page (in german) can be found here.